Thursday, March 15, 2012

Round 1: Illegal Length vs The Falsies Flared

For Mascara March Madness, I'm rating all the mascaras I review on a scale I created which you will see at the end of this post. I'll be reviewing two mascaras at a time, pitting them against each other in true March Madness bracket style! One mascara will "win" in each post. I'll post the rating chart with each review I do, and I'll continue to fill it in as we go along. I'll be doing four more reviews over the next week and a half, and then it will be giveaway time! Which ever mascara has the best rating will be the one I give away. In the event of a tie, I'll just pick one for the giveaway.

I'm excited to get these reviews rolling, and I'm going to start by trying the two Maybelline mascaras that I purchased: Maybelline The Falsies Flared Mascara, and Maybelline Illegal Length Mascara. Let's start by taking a look at my bare lashes.

Scary sight! Now you know why I don't like to leave the house without mascara on. I need a mascara that does it all, lengthens, thickens, and curls. First I tried Illegal Length. Here's a photo of the case and applicator.

The applicator looked pretty typical to me, average length and amount of bristles. Application was easy, the makeup went on smoothly with no clumps. Here's a picture of my lashes after a coat of Illegal Length.
There's definitely a difference from the original picture. Illegal Length provided what its name said it would, length. It did thicken my lashes a bit. There really wasn't any added curl, but the length kind of made up for that. Overall, It's not everything I'm looking for, but I would use it again and recommend it to someone who is looking for an inexpensive mascara to lengthen their lashes.

Moving on to the Falsies Flared. The name had me excited because false lashes are so dramatic and that's the kind of help I need for my lashes. Here's the case and wand.

The applicator was thick and curved, so I was hoping for some serious curl and volume. The Falsies Flared ended up falling flat. Here are my lashes after application.
The mascara went on unevenly and my lashes stuck together. While it did curl parts of my lashes slightly (notice the flat spot in the middle), there was such a lack of length and volume that it really didn't change the look of my lashes much. This mascara might be good for someone with naturally long lashes, but I would not recommend it.

The winner of this round is definitely Illegal Length!


Name
Volume
Length
Curl
Application
Overall
Maybelline Illegal Length
3
4
2
4
Blink-worthy
Maybelline The Falsies Flared
1
1
2
2
Keep your shades on.

























Each sub-section is rated on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the worst, and 5 being the best.
The overall ratings are based on the total of the sub-sections.
Overall ratings are:
Keep your shades on. 4-9
Blink-worthy 10-14
Totally battable! 15-20



I look forward to your comments! Thanks for reading! 

4 comments:

  1. The Falsies non-flared did nothing for me; my lashes really grow downward. :( File 13!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Falsies looks really disappointing. Would have expected to see way more volume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually have both of those mascaras right now and falsies aren't all they are cracked up to be. i love the illegal length though! it's amazing and i recommend it to anyone.

    ReplyDelete